[Dixielandjazz] Mixed Race Recording/Jamming

Mike mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Wed Dec 27 10:12:19 PST 2006

Hi Randy,

   I think you have to consider the attitudes towards race and
"interracial mingling" at the times of the 1920s & 1930s. Blacks
were still considered to be below second class citizens.
Acceptable contact with blacks at that time was limited mostly
to employer/employee(which also included Father/Nanny)
relations. Anything more intimate than that had severe physical,
sometimes legal and social consequences.

   Musicians on the other hand, from what I have read and heard,
did associate with one another. The limits were stretched a
little beyond what would have been acceptable in normal society,
but not very much.

Mike