[Dixielandjazz] Why guitar and not banjo?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Dec 26 12:30:42 PST 2006

Quite a few of my recent jobs have been strolling up and down a shopping
mall.  Volume of the instruments in such a setting is really important.
Even though while I had a lot of volume on clarinet I have a whole bunch
more on soprano sax.  I find myself overplaying the brass a lot of the time
and have to back off but outside it's doubtful if guitar or upright bass
would be heard very far.   In most indoor settings the soprano sax has too
much power and I find myself backing off most of the time.

 A lot of the bands used arch top guitars which I never found to have a lot
of volume as compared to the Grand Concert Jumbo flat top guitar.  In either
case neither has the punch.  It's interesting to see the rise of the guitar
and demise of the banjo as amplification came on the scene and as it got
better and speakers improved the Bass Guitar came on the scene.  This was
happening about the time of early Elvis Presley recordings which still
featured upright bass.  After Elvis, Guitar bass started becoming standard
for the new rock bands.  I don't want to argue the merits of Bass Guitar vs
Upright bass except to say in the hands of the garden variety player the
Upright bass or worse still the fretless Guitar bass is something to be
feared.

Today, as I think it happened 75-100 years ago, musicians and leaders made a
choice of instrumentation for different kinds of gigs.  Crowd size,
availability of amplification, venue and occasion all are factors in
instrument choice.  A quiet jazz gig with piano bass and drums would call
for an upright bass where as a wedding reception a Guitar Bass would be
indicated and outside in a strolling gig a sousaphone might be appropriate.
The same had to be true for banjo / guitar choices.

If smooth jazz sound is wanted I think most of us would select an upright
string bass over the guitar bass and clarinet over the soprano sax, guitar
over banjo and so on down the line.

I guess it depends on what you want.  I think of the Dixie band as an
outside group even if it happens to be playing inside.

Some months ago I played a gig in a large ballroom of a downtown hotel.  The
instrumentation was Tuba, Cornet, Trombone, Banjo, Soprano Sax.  The crowd
was large and we were on a 4 foot stage.  We had no trouble playing un
amplified in that room.  There were mikes and a system available but we
didn't use it because the host couldn't figure out how to turn it on.  These
were all good players who had a very solid  sound.  This kind of band really
doesn't need the amplification that other groups need.
Larry Walton
St. Louis -