[Dixielandjazz] Why guitar, not banjo?/Tubas, too

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Dec 26 11:06:14 PST 2006

Although some might find these historical strands very delete-able, I
find them more interesting than evaluations of Woody Allen. I'm
grateful too for the instructive and dazzling scholarship you-all have
shown. Thanks.

Moving on to more recent history and matters of taste, my preferences
run the opposite of Ginny's, below. Banjo and tuba are a hard sell for
me because the setting is so often brassy and razzmatazzy. In the N.O.
of the forties, when I began listening, the tuba was considered
hopelessly corny and rarely heard in jazz groups. The tuba and banjo
were both seen as limiting factors in generating a good feeling for
improvisation. Few working bands used banjo, and only Lawrence Marrerro
with George Lewis was talked about as a banjoist. He used a mute, BTW,
which avoided the jam-it-up-your-backside quality of many of the banjos
in revivalist bands of the time like the Firehouse Five. (Looking back
to the Hot Fives and Sevens, it's hard to imagine a masterpiece like
"Hotter Than That" with St, Cyr on banjo rather than guitar.)
Guitarists in my times didn't get much work because combos preferred
pianists. My favorite guitarists were Angie Palmisano and Herman
Pffeffer and later Bill Huntington, but he was a bopper when we met
around 1954.

The weekend combos and working Dixieland bands of the postwar years
were playing mainly in four, established in the swing era of course.
When I played with Irving Fazola's brother, Blue Prestopnik (a slim
talent--couldn't jam!) around 1955, we played the first chorus as two
beat, then went into a flat four the rest of the way. Nice. The "2"
caught the dancers, and they felt a propulsion rather than a letdown of
rhythm on the second chorus to the end.  As someone (Steve?) wrote a
while back, the flat four backup (and later, comping) gave the soloist
a smoother field for improvisational flight and exploration. A
relentless oom-pah/two-beat felt kinda like walking with one foot on
the curb and the other in the street.

It was the lingering impact of the revivalist movement and tourist
expectations that brought the banjo back in New Orleans in late 50s and
early 60s. The marching bands, long out of the spotlight, brought back
the tuba around the same time. It now appears as if the two instruments
were a staple there in uninterrupted sequence since the 20s, but not
so. Many players still grimace when they show up on a jazz gig, but
that's where the money is. Finally, some banjoists actually comp,
modern style, to good effect, just as many drummers have been
effectively integrating modern jazz comping into Dixieland settings for
decades. My favorites were guys like Buzzy Drootin with Condon and
Sonny Igoe with Phil Napoleon early on, then Jack Sperling with Pete
Fountain and Jimmy Zitano with Al Hirt.

Charlie Suhor