[Dixielandjazz] Jeff Mumford (was New Armstrong biography/ Two beat)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 25 13:12:58 PST 2006

> In the book I have; "The Illustrated Story of Jazz" by Keith Shadwick, the
Buddy Bolden Band guitar player ......... is given as: "Jefferson Mumford".
................... for my own peace of mind I would like to find out.<

Dear Bob,
Rest easy.
Mr Shadwick and Dan Hardie are both right.
According to 'In Search of Buddy Bolden' (1978. Donald M Marquis) -page 48-
"Brock" was Jefferson Mumford's nickname, due to his face being badly scared
by smallpox.
However, the only tenuous word connection I can think off is, perhaps, a
visual similarity to the vegetable broccoli.
Kind regards,
Bill.