[Dixielandjazz] New Armstrong biography/ Two beat

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Sun Dec 24 14:16:04 PST 2006

Hi Bob,
Louis Lince seems to have answered your question about the Bolden Band.
The photo Louis refers to  is on my Loudest Trumpet  web page - the
right way round! Most jazz Bands in New Orleans appear to have  used
the guitar until the 1920's, when the banjo became popular. It is
strange because historically the banjo was the instrument of the slaves
- even the street bands in New Orleans employed guitarists like Brock
Mumford, not much evidence of banjos.
regards
Dan Hardie
http://tinyurl.com/nqaup