[Dixielandjazz] YKOM

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 24 13:17:41 PST 2006

Hey Gary:

That clip, and Stanley Jordan are definitely MKOM. Wonderful. Thanks.

I can't say if it is OKOM or not because I can't speak for the "our"
totality in OKOM. Many on the DJML have different opinions of what OKOM is.

Perhaps we can draw a parallel from what Max Kaminsky said about the decline
of jazz a half century or so ago? (excerpted below)

"The kind of jazz we played had a functional base . . . for dancing. . . It
came out of the raw stuff of life . . . But now jazz has created . . . a
monster in its own image - the jazz addict - who in becoming all hopped up
about its significance as an art form, nearly snuffed the life out of it. .
. it was taken over lock stock and barrel by the fans, the record
collectors, the amateur critics, . . .the lecturers, and the writers. These
were the people who decided what was jazz and what wasn't, who dictated how
it should be played and on what instrument, and specified who could or could
not play 'real' jazz."

He went on to lament that it was taken away from the dancers and musicians
etc., and pleaded for musicians and dancers to take it back. His is not the
complete story of what happened to cause the decline of jazz, but IMO, he
had a point.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone