[Dixielandjazz] OKOM and new DJML subscribers

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Dec 24 12:53:22 PST 2006

Re the OKOM/YKOM question raised by Gary Kiser-- Sometimes we don't
realize that new DJML subscribers often don't know what "OKOM" means. I
got an off-list query recently from a new subscriber who asked what he
called a "dumb question"--What does OKOM mean? I had to ask the same
question when I joined. Since this is a constant part of the exchanges,
I wonder if a brief note could be built into the confirmation when new
folks sign on. Something to the effect of, "The acronym 'OKOM' was
coined by DJML list members early on to stand for 'Our Kind Of
Music'--roughly, jazz in the pre-swing styles--early New Orleans,
Dixieland, trad, revivalist, etc. But the messages aren't confined to
that." I signed on because I knew of no other source that specializes
in discussions of those styles and was pleased to find that
selectively, we talk about O (for Other) Kinds of Music also.

OKOM all ye faithful,

Charlie Suhor