[Dixielandjazz] Gota River Jazzmen & Uptown New Orleans Style

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 24 07:54:21 PST 2006

"Ken Gates" <kwg28 at sbcglobal.net> wrote (polite snip)

> I read rapidly thru the WA posts, so maybe I missed the response to someone's
> inquiry as to what "Uptown New Orleans" jazz style might be.  I won't attempt
> the
> technical definition part.  Just to mention that IMO a very good example of
> this
> style played VERY well is by the Swedish group---Gota River Jazzmen.

The Gota River Jazzmen are indeed an EXCELLENT BAND. But, IMO, not "Uptown"
Style, though playing many hymns and songs that Uptown Style Bands played.

IMO, they are much too technically excellent, to meet most definitions of
"Uptown" which is much rougher and is typified these days by Preservation
Hall Jazz Band.

But their technique does not get in the way of the music. They have plenty
of jazz feeling and the music is both soulful and beautiful. All the pretty
notes are there. They even put Swedish Hymns to New Orleans Jazz meter and
it is wonderful.

More like the preciseness of Downtown style as I hear it, and excellent,
tonally, harmonically, with good improvisation, all while being arranged
very well. They are players.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of some off list conversations about
audiences with their leader who bemoaned the fact that some European
audiences were not huge fans of their playing. After hearing their CDs, I
was stunned and couldn't imagine why that would be. Perhaps times have
changed since then? I hope so.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone