[Dixielandjazz] YKOM or not?

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Sun Dec 24 06:43:56 PST 2006

I received some replies to my post concerning LALC's Christmas special
that slightly puzzled me.  No one was rude or disagreeable in any way;
that isn't the issue at all.  What I found curious was having kind folk
tell me what OKOM is.  Ok, ok, I am on this list because I share with
you an interest in a "certain style of jazz" that we call OKOM.  Yet, I,
personally, myself, on my own, like MANY types of music.  New Orleans,
Dixieland, swing, Django, West-Coast, Chicago, etc... are just a small
sampling of what I listen to.

Define what you like all you want, but don't tell me what I should like
because I am on this list.  Just because I am on the DJML doesn't mean I
can't be on the Death Metal Grunge Mailing List or the Woody Allen
Mailing List as well.

Anyway, I am curious as to where your boundaries are with OKOM.
Everyone's boundaries will differ for sure.  I have decided to poll you
from time to time.  The subject line will read "YKOM or not?"  If
interested, great.  If not, there is the delete key.

My first offering is a clip by a guitarist that I enjoy a great deal,
Stanley Jordan.  No, not a name we see often on DJML.  For those that
don't know of him, he plays the guitar by 'tapping' the strings.  In
doing so, he can play guitar with one hand.  Or, he can play two guitars
with two hands.  Personally, I think he is wonderful.

The clip here is Willow Weep For Me a nice tune I play in 6/8 funk with
the Mojo Brass Band.  Here Stanley starts out solo (he is GREAT solo)
and the rest of his band comes in later.

Your Kind Of Music Or Not?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_5YX5WytfA

All the best, Gary