[Dixielandjazz] Attacks vs. Criticism -

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Dec 22 22:24:37 PST 2006

Hi folks:

I heard on a radio program today a wonderful recording by Vic Damone, a
very gifted Italian crooner of yesteryear and definitely in OKOM
territory.   I enjoyed it very much as a gem form the past, and then
the DJ chimed in with the following comments, attributed to the
legendary Frank Sinatra  whom I loved as a Singer,  but who was not
exactly known by most as Mr. Warmth either.

Frank made a Public Comment about Vic Damone " Vic Damone has the best
Pipes in the Business too bad he doesn't know how to use them".   That
uncalled for statement in a fit of arrogance by an already successful
artist cause decades of degradation to a fine singer trying to work his
way up the ladder.   It no doubt sounded and felt HIP for Frank to say
it but it was uncalled for and did nothing to actually gain any further
respect for Frank, especially form the Vic Damone fans,   Critics
however picked up on it and quoted it often to degrade Vic Damone in
print and unduly influence many potential fans for his music.

Of course Frank was not the first nor the last to indulge in this kind
of  certainly less than encouraging statement.

Cheers,

Tom