[Dixielandjazz] Spitting in the wind? The OKOM jazzer's quandary

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Dec 22 21:53:00 PST 2006

Hi David:  Thanks for you most thoughtful reply:

Don't Promote it as OLD, promote it as the next New Thing because it is
indeed NEW to all those who have not yet been exposed to it.
Never underestimate the musical Ignorance of any Talent Buyer for any
potential gig, especially those whose only exposure to music may be DJs
or hip hop and rap or even ROCK AND ROLL.   For instance ReBirth Brass
Band can best be described as Dixie Rap & Hip Hop, while Dirty Dozen
Brass Band slips into Dixie/N.O. Jazz Fusion, both keeping the roots
yet trying to expand the music to appeal to today's youth and aging
Baby boomers who may still have limited exposure to it.

I am even trying to go into a different more commercial direction with
my band to reach all the Soul Music and R&B boomers who are floundering
around looking for some new music.  Many of my OKOM colleagues and
purist no doubt hold me in disgust for what my band plays even though
we  often certainly can and do play the same thing that most of them
do.   Ask any member of this list that has gone on a gig with me if
they had a good time on the gig and made decent money for the gig as
well and I don't think you will hear any complaints for the most part.
I say that because not one of them has ever turned me down when I
called them for another gig opportunity unless of course they were
already previously committed. I do not compete for the status quo gigs
and offer no threat to any OKOM group and will create and or bring my
own audience to any event That hires my shows whether it be my band or
one that I represent.

History Repeats itself OVER AND OVER AND OVER Again,  what I am saying
is very simple and the answer to what you just said about looking out
the rear view mirror to the past.

Get up tomorrow morning and go put up Burma Shave Signs fifty miles
 from your next gig in all directions leading up to the GIG then show up
and play and see how many new audience members you will have,  Book
your band in another town where they don't see you and do the same
thing.

We have only just begun to Fight, and we must fight until we die and
teach the ones under us to fight even harder , that's how I got into
this music I saw the soldiers before me falling and even committing
suicide, so I picked up the crusade and have never looked back and I
too am an aging Baby boomer.

What I am simply trying to say is that there are millions of us that
never got an exposure to grandpas music or even much of our father's
music,  Heck AARP just realized that and they are doing something about
it we should all be competing to join them right now as they are
damned sure gonna do more for OKOM than even Ken Burns did.

Now if we don't want our grand kids to be warped by Rap and Hip Hop
then there is really only one way to stop it,  Do everything in our
local regional and national and international power to EDUCATE them
about good and real music.   Something sadly that many of the IAJE
folks decided not to do since most of them got their education about
jazz form the latter day Jazz saints like Coltrane and Ornette Coleman
, Cecil Taylor geniuses yes, but by force of survival since most OKOM
folks would not hire any of them in the hey day of OKOM.   Therefore
they were forced to invent different styles of music and go out and
market to the new audiences while OKOM folks sat back and did little or
nothing to compete, waxing poetic about how great they already were.

The OKOM market of players simply in my opinion lost their competitive
edge and slipped away in to almost obscurity while organizing small
preservation societies locally and regionally to try and keep whatever
jobs they still had to hold onto.   I honestly know many great players
right around here that are quick to get together for jams and such and
mainly just bitch about their not being any work anymore and chatting
about the good old days.   Now believe me I respect all these guys and
gals and love them dearly when I get the  rare opportunity to be with
them, but it saddens me to see that so many of them simply gave up the
fight and just sit back and take whatever comes.

American Jazz is considered all over the World to be the USA's  "ONLY
Contribution to World Culture"  and guys like Louis Armstrong toured
the world as our Ambassador to open up the world marketplace to Jazz
for all of us, so why have not more of us gone out there and opened
more doors and spread it even further.  Louis was only one Man and look
what he accomplished , Who among us will even attempt to do the same.
And he did it when nobody wanted to know about no Trumpet players too,
  I started as a Trumpet player when surf music was the rage, and nobody
wanted a trumpet player, not because they didn't like trumpet players
but because nobody had written a part for the instrument,  so I
switched to drums, then ten years later the Beach Boys had a horn
section.

Rock and ROLL MUSIC did not go away either, it became Country Music
with the vocals done by singers with a Western drawl, Hell, even
nashville went electric with Guitars and Fiddles, who woulda Thunk
that? Heck they even added drums. :))

Gospel became Blues, and blues became Jazz, and jazz became swing, and
bop, and smooth "again" and jazz rock fusion and world music, and Latin
Jazz,  Afro Jazz , Afro Cuban Jazz.  etc.  all just another way of
playing JAZZ and free form music.

We need to revisit our roots and continue to try and be creative, even
if we fail guys, it is better to have played and failed than to give up
   and never have played at all.    I am having a wonderful time playing
this music that was denied me for whatever reasons for so many years of
non exposure and if ever I am remembered for whatever my contributions
might be it is my hope that they will say Tom Wiggins did something to
inspire and push forward American Jazz usually with a lot of guys with
a lot more technical  talent than him.

Hell maybe I am Woody Allen or Guy Lombardo, or the reincarnated Jack
Laine who knows, all I know is I like this music and will continue
to try everywhere in the world I go to live it and play it and create
places for others to play it.  It's the least I can do.

Don't give up the ship guys we have only just begun to fight:   And may
the sinking ship of Hip Hop have an OKOM band playing on it as it goes
down beside the titanic,  I just hope I don't have that gig :))   But
if I do at least I'll be Famous for something. :))

And there is nothing shameful or regretful about playing those
retirement homes, I do it when we are on tour whenever we can get a
festival organizer to set it up, and they are often some of the most
rewarding sets that we play on the entire tour.

So please all of you guys understand that I am not mocking any of you
for the gigs that you do find and play, just trying to stimulate all of
you into reaching further because the gigs are indeed still there, just
tougher competition for them often because of idiotic talent buyers and
committees and incompetent bands and musos of other genres trying to
get the same gigs for any money that is available.

I have even seen idiot twenty something entertainment directors at
senior centers try to program DJs for entertainment for their seniors,
and the DJ's they hire don't show up with Benny Goodman or Tommy
Dorsey, Louis Armstrong,  or  Les Brown or Harry James Cds either, yes
you guessed it they show up with rap and hip hop because that is all
they know as music.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

It ain't over till the Fat Lady Sings and there are so many Fat Ladies,
that if we just keep bringin' up those chick singers it may never be
over :))   Sorry Ladies, not intending to be politically incorrect or
insulting to any of you ladies with a few extra pounds, simply coining
a phrase from yesteryear.