[Dixielandjazz] Woody Allen...again

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Dec 19 19:13:23 PST 2006

Great comments from a newbie. I'd add that whether a comment comes from
a NY Times critic or one of us or a guy at the bar, the credentials or
lack of them aren't relevant. If the ideas make sense to you, take 'em
in. If not, disagree, and the dialogue goes on. Looked at from a broad
perspective, it's healthy and it tends to be self-correcting. It can be
unpleasant when it gets mean-spirited and personal, but that happens,
and the bad attitude itself is fair game for criticism, apart from the
validity of the view expressed about the music. For example John Simon
was a good drama critic but could be needlessly cruel. Ditto for many
movie critics. Over the years I've seen dreadfully smart-alecky
critiques of everybody from Jelly Roll Morton to Dave Brubeck to, oh
yeah, Kenny Gee and Woody Allen.

Charlie Suhor