[Dixielandjazz] What constitutes a competent musician?

Scott Anthony santh at pacbell.net
Tue Dec 19 15:51:41 PST 2006

A lot of this discussion seems awfully silly to me. I think most of us can
tell instinctively just by listening to a few notes whether someone is
incompetent on their instrument, no matter what the style.

Telling people that there is a difference in ideas between Pee Wee Russell
and Benny Goodman is really stating the obvious, is it not?

I think the same instinctive awareness of competence can be found in other
arts. Consider painters: Both Thomas Kincaid (ugh) and Andrew Wyeth are
realistic painters. Just guess which one I consider a competent artist and
which one complete hack.

Scott Anthony