[Dixielandjazz] One more Woody Allen comment

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sun Dec 17 05:29:11 PST 2006

Listmates:  I'd like to weigh in on the Woody Allen comments.  A couple of
years ago-maybe more-there was a video made by Woody Allen of his trip to
Europe.  He played some concerts, well attended, surrounded by excellent
musicians-Dan Barrett was one.  Agree that he's not an accomplished, or
especially talented musician.  At least on the film, he didn't play a lot of
solos.

Digressing for a minute, the Jazz Society of Pensacola has on its
application form a question about preference for jazz musicians and musical
styles.  A few years back, the most frequent response was "Kenny G."  My
usual response to those potential members was, " You like Kenny G, great!
I've got 20 sax players you'll go nuts over! "  Ya gotta start where folks
are musically and mentally and go from there!

Same for Woody!  Even though not a polished player, he is introducing or
enhancing jazz to the musicially unsophisticated.

Quoting the late record producer Gus Statiras, "  If you depended on the
real jazz fans, you'd go broke!"

Norman -that's my two-cents worth--Vickers

F. Norman Vickers

3720 McClellan Road

Pensacola, FL 32503-3412

850-432-9743 (home)

850-324-5022 (cell)

850-433-8382 ( Jazz Society of Pensacola)

nvickers1 at cox.net ( that's ONE not L)

www.jazzpensacola.com