[Dixielandjazz] WOODY ALLEN CONCERT

JBruno868 at aol.com JBruno868 at aol.com
Sat Dec 16 11:03:12 PST 2006

In a message dated 12/16/2006 9:06:10 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
louislince at neworleansmusic.demon.co.uk writes:

Hi  Judie,

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience but if you had seen the  film "West
End Blues" you would have been warned about just how bad Woodie  Allen is. I
never laughed at him until I heard him  play.

Louis

I did watch "Wild Man Blues" but mostly to see Dan  Barrett, the trombone
player and longtime friend. I remember thinking that Woody  wasn't all that
special but as they never really finished many songs, it never  hit me that he was
that bad. Lol Dan never said much about his playing but more  about how they
were treated rather badly compared to Woody on this tour but  again this was
years ago, so I guess when you take a bad player and add the age  on them, they
can really become very bad. Lol

I did forget to say that the rest of the band was good  from what I could
hear over the screeching and squawks of Woody. I did  notice that the banjo
player was feeding the cords to the piano player often as  if he didn't know most
of the tunes but I guess if you are as bad as Woody, you  surround yourself
with good players and hope it doesn't show. Lol

What really made me feel sad was that the audience,  some of them I am sure
not listening to OKOM often, would think this was good  because of his name. In
the beginning they would clap loudly as Woody finished a  solo. I can't say
what their response was towards the end of the concert as I  couldn't take it.
We were laughing all the way home but the sound was still in  my ears and I
just couldn't get rid of it. Terrible.

Quite a few years ago we attended the touring  "Preservation" band concert
and we enjoyed that. They weren't the originals of  course but at least they had
some talent. Woody seemed to know all the note, his  rhythm was OK but he
just couldn't find them in between the squeaks and squawks  and as I said, he
never met a pretty note.

Jazz  Hugs

Judie

Jazz  Hugs