[Dixielandjazz] CD Review - Jonathan Russell

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 15 18:46:46 PST 2006

As those on the list who get The American Rag will know, Jonathan Russell's
first CD was reviewed in the current issue by Cam Miller.

The 11 year old kid jazz violinist (+ Ed Polcer and some other old guys) got
an A rating for his Album entitled "The Sheik of Araby"

Now is the time for those of us who believe in supporting YOUNG jazz
musicians to put our money where our mouths are and BUY THE ALBUM.

email Jonathan at: <JonathanJazz at yahoo.com> or see his web site at:
<http://www.jonathanjazz.com> or call him at 716-601-4351.

Of course it doesn't hurt that this first album may well become a
collector's item so get one now. Cam Miller's review ended with: "In short,
unless he stumbles along the way, Russell has the tools to become a major
jazz figure." GRADE A.

Or make a date to see him at the Sacramento Jubilee. Either way, when you
hear this kid, you will hear what Kenny Davern heard when he played with
Jonathan a few months ago. And you'll realize what Kenny meant when he said
that EARS were the key factor in becoming a good jazz musician. You'll also
see/hear an 11 year old who is neither too afraid nor too intimidated to sit
in with  any band or musician playing today.

Congratulations Jonathan.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone