[Dixielandjazz] Video transfers for editing old VHS

Dick Baker box2 at twotonbaker.com
Sat Dec 9 06:51:25 PST 2006

Dan Augustinen wrote:
"Nancy and DJML--
     Hmm.  Can't you just dub or copy the VHS tape to a DVD, and then read
the DVD in your computer's CD/DVD player and copy the file to your
hard-drive (i can do this on my Mac)?  Once it's on your hard-drive, seems
like you could massage and edit it with iMovie or whatever.  I have a combo
VHS/DVD recorder that allows me to dub a VHS tape to a DVD, but there are
probably also electronics store that would do this for you.  I think the
resulting file would be MUCH too large to fit on a CD, which can only hold
700 MB, unless you're talking about a VHS piece that's only a couple of
minutes long."

This method has worked well for me on my PC.  Video purists hold that the
"right" way is to dub directly from VHS player to computer via a special
interface card, but that's quite a bit of expense and hassle.  I use a
Lite-On DVD/VHS unit to dub from VHS to DVD (using rewritable/reusable
DVD-RW discs).  I then copy the resulting MPEG files from the DVD-RW disc
into my PC, where I use an inexpensive program called MPEG-VCR (see
http://www.womble.com/products/VCR.html) to edit the video into the pieces
I want.  I then use Nero's DVD editor (NeroVision) to create menus and burn
the final DVD-R disc.  I don't know anything about IMacs or iMovie, but
there's a chance that it'll do more or less the same thing.

--
       Dick Baker - Now in Chattanooga!
             box2 at twotonbaker.com