[Dixielandjazz] Joe Ascione

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 8 13:09:11 PST 2006

Nancy Giffin <NANCYink at surewest.net> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Ever since he came out west with Ed Polcer's All-Stars, I've been a fan of
> NY drummer Joe Ascione. I've always urged locals to come with me to the
> concerts whenever Polcer was in our area, but not enough treated themselves
> to the great music featuring Joe and others (Dan Barrett, Allan Vache, John
> Allred, Ken Peplowski, John Cocuzzi, and more).
>
> Anyway, I found a YouTube clip of Joe Ascione with guitarist Frank Vignola.
> In this video, Joe is giving some brushes a workout on nothing but a music
> stand.
>
> Frank Vignola & Joe Ascione - Gypsy Jazz Warm-up
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQnn7FWKO-A
>
> Together, they tour as the Frank & Joe Show. For their schedule, visit
> http://www.franknjoe.com/
> Not only is Joe extremely talented, he is a comic riot with lightening fast
> wit. (Though you?ll have to see him live to witness it.)

Thanks for posting that clip Nancy. Joe Ascione is indeed one of the finest
drummers around today. The Frank and Joe show is superb. And when Joe backs
Ed Polcer's all stars, it is a real treat.

Several years ago I was lucky enough to be on clarinet in Ed's "52nd Street"
group at a Pee Wee Russell Memorial Stomp in New Jersey. Joe was the
drummer, Daryl Sherman on piano, Tom Artin on trombone, can't remember who
was on bass but he was great also. Band swung its butt off.

Joe is the finest drummer I have ever gigged with. He and Frank Vignola also
did a duo set at the Stomp and it was outstanding.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone