[Dixielandjazz] 1939 Jazz in NYC

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 8 07:18:15 PST 2006

Fun to surf around for jazz information. I found this one from an old Weekly
Newsletter (October 10, 1939) about jazz:

>Poppa, Condon Go Legitimate

>Louis Armstrong and Eddie Condon will appear on Broadway this fall. Louis is
>cast as Bottom in a jazz version of Midsummer Night's Dream, while Condon will
>be in 'Young Man With a Horn' as Bix's drunken pal

As many will remember, Kirk Douglas starred in the movie, "Young Man with a
Horn" several decades later. AND, he was often seen at Eddie Condon's joint
on West 3rd Street in Greenwich Village prior to filming, soaking up some
background for the part.

To read this wonderful 1939 publication chock full of neat information about
Jazz in NYC in 1939, see:

http://home.att.net/~joeshepherd/jazz/jazz15.html

By changing that number in the website above to a 16, you can get the
following week.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone