[Dixielandjazz] A Lost Era of Jazz Comes To Life

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Thu Dec 7 10:59:44 PST 2006

A fascinating piece. Thanks for sending it, Steve.

A comment leading up to the subject of the article--When I was
researching the post-60s times for a history of jazz course a few years
ago, all of the writers confirmed my sense that after avant garde and
fusion jazz there was an explosion of syntheses and no clear single
direction--no new Bird, Trane, or Ornette but lots of good and not so
good stuff that couldn't be described as the "next step," as  the
previous history of jazz had been described (oversimplified, but
legitimately) in terms of evolving styles and artistic lineages.

The writers gave the post 60s phenomenon names like "the fragmentation
of jazz styles" and couldn't find a unified movement. Among the
syntheses, the neo-bop of Wynton Marsalis is most popular, all agreed.
Some lamented the lack of an innovative giant or a new defining style,
but others noted that there's no reason to suppose that a real or
imagined linearity will occur. (It's arguable that there's a similar
diffusion in classical music, the novel, and other arts in the latter
half the 20th century.)

Back to the artcile. As I see the huge discographical effort described
there, it seems to amount to an aggregate that doesn't paint a picture.
Avakinan's work and that of other discographers of early jazz, swing,
bop, etc., showed the contours of the movement. The description of the
recordings in the article sounds like flung confetti. Agreed, it's
better to have all those particles gathered in heaps than to not have a
place for them--access is really important--but I don't see where, in
terms of what Max Roach called recordings as "a textbook of jazz," a
text is being constituted. It's more the discographical equivalent of a
table of random numbers.

Charlie