[Dixielandjazz] Chet Baker and Lack of Melody

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Dec 3 11:56:06 PST 2006

Great analysis, Dan! A couple of comments, and a question...

When speaking about the evolution of arts in general, I agree that it's
safe to say that they tend to move to more complexity, as in painting
and jazz, as you note--with the reservation that reactions might come
to the complexity, as in the minimalist  movement. I'm betting $8.00
you'll agree that when it comes to individual performances in the more
complex forms, many pursue complexity for its own sake (as in guys who
play too many notes but lose feeling and musical meaning--as with many
Coltrane imitators).

Critics of the newer form take cluttered or experimental performances
as a flaw in the style itself, often failing to respond to fine
performances (like [most of] Bird, Coltrane, Konitz, Rollins). The
detractors who aren't honest enough to say that their distaste for
modern jazz is just that--a matter of taste--are jazz fundamentalists.
Of course, there are snobs on both sides. Some fans and players in the
modern movement, esp. during its origins, put down early jazz as corny
and simplistic, missing the fact that the new music incorporates most
of the expressive values of the old--"transcends and includes" it, as
Ken Wilber says.

Another wrinkle--the smaller audience for the new art form often grows
to dominate as the form gets to be heard or seen more widely. Modern
jazz that started as underground music beloved by a few has become
virtually the only jazz we hear on the radio, as background music at
chic restaurants, Starbucks, etc., while early jazz doesn't typically
sell beyond a small set of fans. Same with new ideas, in the sciences,
religion, or literary criticism, etc. The new stuff has to become part
of what Rupert Sheldrake calls the morphic resonance of the culture.

The question: how can we talk appreciatively of the early jazz that we
love and about the growth of more complex forms without sounding like
elitists who are claiming inherently greater value of styles that
present a more nuanced palette for the performer? I've been nailed with
that charge even after swearing that I dig music well played in every
style.

Charlie