[Dixielandjazz] "I Hate Myself" - Another composer mystery - Pt. 2

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Dec 2 16:26:06 PST 2006

Dear Craig
I've found another composer, more positive, reference:
"I Hate Myself (For Falling In Love With You)".
(1930. Abner Silver-Nick Kenny-Dave Oppenheim).
Which was also recorded by Lloyd Keating and His Music (with vocalist Smith
Ballew) on Harmony 1252, 18 Dec 1930.
However, Nick Kenny (whose last big hit was as co-author of "Gone Fishin'")
wrote [according to Warren Vache, snr in 'The Unsung Songwriters'] ALL his
songs in collaboration with his brother, Charles Kenny.
Could he have originally used the pseudonym Cornell for "I Hate Myself"?
Stop Press: The ASCAP Biographical Dictionary confirms Nick Kenny as
composer of "I Hate Myself (For Falling In Love With You)" along with David
Oppenheim, but does not mention the song in the Abner Silver entry. Perhaps
because, as well as being a composer and author he was also a publisher!
Kind regards,
Bill. The tune-terrier.