[Dixielandjazz] I'm back on DJML; Katrina update; the Chet Baker thing

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat Dec 2 10:39:09 PST 2006

Hello, DJMLers--

I just rejoined DJML after a long hiatus when I was doing some hard
writing--finished editing my late son’s writing for publication and did
a prospectus for a “Ninth Ward Memories” collection. Neither has been
picked up yet but I have a plan for what can be a long sequence of
submissions.

I was also helping my brother and sister, both in their mid-70s, deal
with the Katrina damage to their house (6008 Spain Street, near Robert
E. Lee). As I write, they’ve decided to put it up for sale. I’m
guessing there were tons of DJML postings about Katrina, the awful
damage, appalling lack of response, and the whereabouts of musicians,
so I won’t get into that. I’ve been back three times and am deeply
saddened by the virtual disappearance of the majority of the populated
areas even as the Quarter and other areas closest to the river are back
for habitation and tourists. I urge everyone to go there, spend money,
and take a bus tour to see that the city is still years from
“recovering” in terms of neighborhood populations.

Picking up on the “lack of melody” strand, I have the greatest
affection for Charlie Parker’s powerful new melody on the lovely
“Embraceable You.” It bears the old title but is a more passionate
rendering. Listen, and levitate.

I think the general debate about whether a performance must give the
“original” melody its due isn’t a useful argument. A melody played with
a little or a lot of embellishment can be brilliantly moving, or trite
and mechanical. A no-sign-of-the-original-melody improvisation can be
anything from wretchedly self-indulgent to wonderful. Jazz
improvisation (pre-avant garde) is often in the business of creating
new melodies based on  the chords and melody of a tune, and it’s the
quality of the creation not fidelity to the original melody that works,
or doesn’t work.

P.S.—have you heard the particular version of “Funny Valentine” on the
Columbia CD “Miles Davis—The Complete 1964 Concert”? What a paradox! He
abuses the melody by deconstructing its romanticism and in the process
gives a performance that has its own perverse beauty and (to me) great
validity.

Charlie Suhor