[Dixielandjazz] Communication

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 1 12:59:50 PST 2006

"Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis" wrote (polite snip)

(In answer to Elazar's report about his success at an outdoor public
concert)

> It's all about entertainment and communication . . .The one thing that TV or
> recorded music can't offer is interaction and I think that is what people like
> about a band that interacts with them - This is a sad commentary actually
> about bands that think they are too cool to talk to people.

I forget who said it but: "Music is a transaction between artists and
audience, an effort, through the working of sound to share a vision." Now
depending upon the venue, that may only be half right.

 E.G. When you work in a large stadium, with any where from twenty to one
hundred thousand in the audience, visuals certainly help, sight & sound.

Often we disparage the fireworks and the huge TV images that back up
Madonna, or Mick Jagger et al., but how else does one expect to communicate
with a crowd that large? Heck, even the Classical Musicians perform in
beautifully lighted amphitheaters in Rome, or Pompeii and make a spectacle
of their performances.

Perhaps the only reason we OKOMers don't do more of it is that we lack the
crowds.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone