[Dixielandjazz] Brass Instrument Website

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Dec 1 08:49:46 PST 2006

Folks--
     Here's an interesting and useful website dedicated to the history
and nature of brass instruments:
"Horn-u-copia: public forum discussing antique, obscure and
out-of-production Brass Instruments".

"Whether you are an historian, an accomplished musician, a gifted
amateur, a part-time dabbler or former player in a school band;
whether you are a serious collector, a player of an old instrument or
an inheritor of a family heirloom; it is hoped that this site will be
of use to you, for the purpose of finding out the date of manufacture
and other details about your instrument."

     I haven't delved very far into it as yet, but it appears to have
catalogs of many brass-instrument manufacturers, plus serial-numbers,
dates of production, discussions of acoustical and structural designs
of instruments, etc.  I commend it to your attention.

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "AGE, n.  That period of life in which we compound for the
**      vices that we still cherish by reviling those that we have
**      no longer the enterprise to commit." -- Ambrose Bierce