Fw: [Dixielandjazz] Not the "Old Left-Hander"!

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Thu Aug 31 20:59:09 PDT 2006

Phil O'Rourke wrote:

>Not quite left-handed; Ian Hill of Australia's Black Mountain Jazz Band and
>Fortified Few fame is a left footed/right handed drummer.
>
> Phil O'Rourke
> Australia

Well, I am an admitted corry fister -- as my Scots ancestors would  call
a southpaw. However, I bat right handed  and (big laugh here) play golf
and  I use right hand grear.
However, I once blew the mind of  my friend Tom Pletcher once when  he
said he hoped he never hurt his right hand since he couldn't be able to
play. "Why not," I told him and proceeded to switch hands and continued
to play my cornet with left handed fingering. "How the hell do you do
that?" Simple - mirror reflexes - and in deed I can make  the
fingerings with the other mitt as fast and  accurately as with my  right
paw. Maybe a tad sluggish on up tempos since I do not do that as a
matter or course, so the muscles of the fingers  are a little slower to
respond, but  given a moderate to slow tempo it's a piece of cake. While
every one can do this, lefties may do it a tad better since  our left
hand is more natural to use even though we learn to play the buttons
right handed because the horns  are made that way.
Don Ingle
*Most people are born right-handed but the truly gifted overcome it *