[Dixielandjazz] music and dementia

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Tue Aug 29 18:04:12 PDT 2006

This thread reminds me of something I'd almost forgotten.  Back before
anti-psychotic drugs came into being, the Kankakee, IL, near where I grew
up, had a state mental hospital.  The musicians union used to send musicians
to play there at dances for the patients.

On one of those occasions, my dad, who was a weekend drummer (and who passed
along his love of OKOM to me), took me along.  I think I must have been
about twelve years old at the time, and I have no idea why he did it, but it
was a very interesting experience.  One thing I do remember is that the
patients really seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely.

Hal Vickery