[Dixielandjazz] bike circus

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Tue Aug 29 17:07:08 PDT 2006

Here's an eMail I got today that some of you may get a real kick out of.
A couple or three years ago the writer bought my first dixieland book,
then they got Vol. 2, and I send 'em occasional goodies from my other
books.
Periodically they keep me up to date on where they've been

This "bike circus" is a bunch of acrobats/musicians who ride bicycles all
over, putting shows on in village squares, playing DIXIELAND as circus
music...

--Sheik
http://americanmusiccaravan.com
  we are doing quite well as we have finally made it through siberia and
mongolia and we have arrived in china!
  they love hot jazz here !!!
  the people are very  friendly and the food is fantastic we are  staying
in an art community in beijing after biking from the mongolian  border
we took a train from moscow to ulan baatar near lake baakal  in  siberia
and then biked to ulaan ude then stayed and got   chinese visas and
train through gobi desert to china border now we  biked 300 k to beijing
thru many villages and great mountains all with  a contra bass!!
  if you have time check out blogs on www.myspace.com/cyclowns  some funny
stuff
  we are really going good and i travel with what turns out to be two
bands in a way we have a real hot jazz section and a section or band if
you will, with 2 fiddles and accordian and we play more  east euro
stuff with them
  there are 12 of us all together and we all do shows together as well
and we all have some kind of circus act
  we now have many contacts for jazz and circus festivals in south china
and thailand so i think ill be in asia for a while!
  we heard a great band in ulan batur that played a great version of
egyptian ella  and i remembered you had sent me that song once  upon a
time in the xxx rated novelty email you sent me
  well we are doing many of the novelty songs like barnacle bill and ol
man mose and we do short theater acts with them like acting out the
songs and silly stuff that people love !!
    we are listening to alot of slim and slam lately and any ideas  of
cool songs they do would be great to hear about , man slim and slam
make spike jones seem like childs play!
  people are really diggin the musuc as last nite for some festival
celebration we earned  what equals 450USD   pretty good  eh?
   we were playing on a bridge in beijing  and for a finale  while we
played sweet sue our clarinet player walked accross the  railing of the
bridge on his hands then he did a swan dive right off  the bridge into
the river with about 100 people running to look over  the railing to
see if he lived ....what a finale ...great fun...   and a great ending
to good old sweet sue!!!
  ok look forward to hearing from you sheik!