[Dixielandjazz] Math

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Tue Aug 29 16:08:21 PDT 2006

Wow, I didn't think ANYONE without a scientific calculator attached to
his/her belt has ever heard of the Fields Medal  But, you Jim, actually
played for the big event.  I have a math degree from UCLA so you know
this year's event is big for my Alma Mater.

Briefly, Grigory Perelman solved the century old Poincaré Conjecture
which is about solids modeling.  Mr. Perelman, a very reclusive Russian,
turned down the Fields Medal -- offered by the International Congress of
Mathematicians every four years -- which was not the first award he
shunned.  He also turned down the $1 million award offered by the Cray
Mathematics Foundation to the first person to prove the Poincaré Conjecture.

Among the other winners this year is Australian Terence Tao, a professor
at UCLA, who at 31 is one of the youngest people to ever win the medal.
Tao has studied applications of prime numbers that has led to the
simplification of equations of Einstein's theory of general relativity
and equations of quantum mathematics.

With your permission (too late), I will send your post to my fellow
Bruin math geeks that rejoiced the honor Professor Tao bestowed on UCLA.

Music content: M. Perelman has proved that a tuba cannot be modeled by a
sphere.  I'm thinking this through, but the only 'instrument' that can
be modeled by a sphere is a drum stick.  Ah, a thimble can too.

All the best, Gary