FW: [Dixielandjazz] Blues Over Bodega

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 29 14:34:16 PDT 2006

Hi Jim,

Bodega Bay, a small inlet north of San Francisco lying directly on the San
Andreas earthquake fault line. I'm pretty sure the name of the place is
derived from some connection with your understanding of the Spanish word
"bodega."

You probably know the story that, as an environmentalist, Watters was
protesting the construction of a nuclear power plant near Bodega Bay because
of its proximity to the earthquake fault. He (and his band along with
vocalist Barbara Dane) joined a group gathering to protest this
construction. Lu had even composed a tune or two just for the occasion. The
energetic "San Andreas Shake" is one such tune.  The band performed at the
rally and it was recorded and then released as "Blues Over Bodega."

Good stuff on the recording and a decent sound track was produced. I'm not
surprised that re-released CD version has become available.  I'd like a copy
meself!

Cheers,

Bill "Watters fan" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com