[Dixielandjazz] Math

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Aug 29 12:45:46 PDT 2006

We played a cocktail for a large group that spend their days fiddling with
numbers last nite.  The world's cleverest math people get together every
four years, and it was Madrid this year.  Weird gig with about 1000 people
hanging around a few tables with cocktails in hand, plus a handful of people
dancing.  It was in a botanical garden, and the dancefloor was dusty dirt,
which rose to the heavens as the dancers heated up.

We had our own problem with some of those smoke machines light guys love to
put on stage.  Had to finally give the order (point towards the things & run
my finger across my throat) to have them cut off altogether.

That, and an evening of above 90 F heat, made for an interesting gig.
Didn't last too long (1.5 hrs), and was extremely well paid, so can't
complain too much.

Apparently some Russian turned down his award, plus 1 million bucks!  Could
have given it to the needy...like the musicians present!     :>

Jim