[Dixielandjazz] It's a brass thing...

Flip Oakes flip at flipoakes.com
Sat Aug 26 13:19:59 PDT 2006

Jim,

Yes, while I agree with you 100%  it's even more then that. It's a form of
communication, it's like having the ability to express your ideas on any
level, on any topic, with a unlimited vocabulary. It's really beyond the
normal level of expression, or communication, that very few have. It was a
true gift that was finely tuned by Maynard himself. It's all in part of the
poetic license, that some few great artist have, and it has to understood to
be appreciated by the mass, and most of the time, it just simply is not.
True genius is not for everyone.

We have been so lucky to have had the privilege of being in the presence of
many great, great artist, and yet most of us, just never really understood
their true dedication, contribution, devotion, artistry, or genius. It's the
way it has always been, and always will be. I for one will miss him very
much.

All The Best,

Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes