[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ferguson

Cees van den Heuvel heu at bart.nl
Fri Aug 25 13:42:52 PDT 2006

I've always been an Amstrong fan and disciple, still am,
but Ferguson led me into exploring the high register,
which led me to playing within Armstrong's range more easily.
A "screech" can add to the expression. Screeching
just for the purpose of showing off (a trumpet players disease)
is useless and childlike. This is also the case with the falsetto
register on reed instruments i.m.o. (I'm learning :))
Used sparingly and with a goal: added value. Used as ....etc

Cees van den Heuvel
http://www.revivaljassband.nl