[Dixielandjazz] Maynard Ferguson clips

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 25 11:12:56 PDT 2006

Hi,
I am sure I am in the minority but having bought one Maynard Ferguson
record, a 78,many years ago, I never bought another. Other trumpeters
obviously appreciate the difficulty of playing like Maynard  but the
question remains. Why did he do it?
He squeaked and screeched his way into the highest register and in the
process lost all tone. It was just the noise you can get out of a leaking
inner tube.

Can someone tell me just what is the virtue in torturing a trumpet, which
can produce  a beautiful sound, until it produces notes for which it was
never designed. Music is written for piccolos in that range, and they sound
much better.

Pat