[Dixielandjazz] Maynard Ferguson - a legend, a friend, and the last of an era!

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Thu Aug 24 10:01:48 PDT 2006

On Maynard Ferguson's passing last night:

I just got off the phone with Stan Mark.  (Maynard's lead trumpet  and  road
manager for about 8 years - sort of my counterpart when I was  with Stan
Kenton.)  We  have known each other for 40 years, since our  time in the Navy, and
stayed good  friends
all these years.
Stan got  to talk to Maynard at 5:15 PM yesterday.  Maynard couldn't really
talk,
but was coherent and knew that it was Stan on the phone. His  daughters  were
with him, and Kim told Stan then, that Maynard would  not make it through
the
night.
As you can imagine, Stan Mark and I  laughed, and cried a lot, and we talked
about
how Maynard was really  the LAST of the original big band leaders, and an
IMPORTANT part of  Stan Kenton's legacy and feelings towards jazz  education.

Talk about the end of an era!!!!!
While I never played on his band, I  did consider him a friend and of course,
one of the biggest influences  in my life as a musician.  I feel  honored
that
I got to play  parts on The Stan Kenton Orchestra that had Maynard's name on
them.
This is a day that will live in my memory as much as the day that  Stan
Kenton died, and Dick Shearer (Lead trombone on the Kenton band  for 12
years, and my co-leader of the Kenton Alumni Band until he too  passed away)  and I
spent a couple of hours on the phone reminiscing  about our time with Kenton.
Mike Vax