[Dixielandjazz] Results of WHAT MAKES JAZZ JAZZ

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue Aug 22 10:02:00 PDT 2006

Dear  DJMLListmates

Thanks, all, who participated in the contest, "What Makes Jazz Jazz?"

As suggested by Ed Butler, I'm forwarding this note to those who were
notified about his contest offer.

 Norman-It's nice to have so many jazz friends-- Vickers

Dear Jazz Friends:

Whew..we've had quite a lot of interest in your definitions of "WHAT MAKES
JAZZ JAZZ".

Here's the problem.  They are all GREAT !!!  Each seems to be heartfelt and
soul-stirred. We received

10 entries from jazz performers, and 15 entries from jazz listeners and
fans. We received entries from so

many far-away areas, including Jerusalem, Israel.

Rosie and I have declared a 25 way TIE !!!   The $100 check will go to the
JSOP ( Jazz Society of Pensacola) fund for ourJazzfest. Plus, Rosie and I
will purchase a bronze plaque spotlighting each person who took the time to
share their thoughts with the rest of us.  This plaque will hang with pride
in the JSOP office.

At some point soon, I will have a compilation of all the submitted work to
make available to you, as

well as James Uhl at the American Rag Magazine.

Thanks again to all.

                                    "IT WAS GREAT FUN...

              AND IT WAS 25 WONDERFUL THINGS"

Here is Ed Butler's assignment to himself regarding the contest " WHAT MAKES
JAZZ JAZZ?"

Even though I am not in the running for the $100 prize, as a jazz performer,
avid listener and married to a terrific jazz singer, I couldn't let the
moment lapse without throwing my opinion on the subject out there with the
rest of you.

I have been blessed with being a performing jazzman for 52 years.  I truly
believe that the idiom of jazz could be approached by:

1)       The jazz performer, player and vocalist) has to have the ability,
technique and good intonation to give even the most non-descript musical
work some vibrant personality. It's like coloring outside the lines, spaces
and staff.

       2)  Having been a player in symphonies, orchestral show bands,
traveling dance bands,

dixieland  bands, fusion jazz, country swing, recording and live,  I have to
tell you this.

Folks, playing jazz is the toughest.  Every time you take a jazz solo,

you are bearing your soul. (They should call it a "soul-o")  You're letting
the listener be privy to your innermost musical thoughts that you attempt to
convey through audible sounds, and you hope everyone will understand what
you're trying to say from the heart.

3)       Okay..Here goes...hopefully in one sentence (37 words):

JAZZ is taking any piece of music and "kicking it up a notch" by use of
talent, innovative ideas, techniques and good intonation; wherein the

soul of the performer and the enjoyment of the listener become one.

Ed Butler

Ed Butler Productions

525 East Romana Street

Pensacola, FL 32502