[Dixielandjazz] Reed vibratal lipal positionary question

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Mon Aug 21 12:08:03 PDT 2006

Before the question, I recommend you all stay away from Bob Erwig's page
on YouTube unless you have a lot of time to spare.  He has 286 clips now
with many posted in the last day.  I include the link but I ACCEPT NO
RESPONSIBILITY if dinner is late, bills become overdue, laundry piles up
or you run out of beer.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=boberwig

THE LIPAL KWESTION :
When playing a reed instrument, is the lower lip put inward over the
lower dental unit?  Or, is it pushed outward with the reed posed on the
ickey mucusy inside of the lower lip?

Before I could walk, I took alto sax lessons and my teacher taught me
the first technique.  However, when we had Joe Muranyi here some years
back, I noted that he plays with the second option.  On wasting my time
with the aforementioned evil video page, I have observed that not all
reed players abide by the same rules.  And, I am pretty sure that Ian
Wheeler's technique (seen on hedonistic clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq3-15wbUlM) would make most music
teachers cringe.

Even though I am a brass player, the superior family of instruments, I
am curious what you ridiculous reed vibrators do to make those squeaks
and squawks.

All the best, Gary "I have my helmet on" Kiser