[Dixielandjazz] Lyrics - Hava Na Gila & Bier Mesdushane

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Mon Aug 21 11:03:45 PDT 2006

The Andrews Sisters sang this for Bei Mir Bist Du Schön

Of all the girls I've known, and I've known some,
Until I first met you I was lonesome,
And when you came in sight, dear, my heart grew light
And this old world seemed new to me.
You're really swell I have to admit, you
Deserve expressions that really fit you,
And so I've racked my brain, hoping to explain
All the things that you do to me.

Bei Mir Bist Du Schön, please let me explain,
Bei Mir Bist Du Schön means that you're grand.
Bei Mir Bist Du Schön, again I'll explain,
It means that you're the fairest in the land.
I could say 'Bella, bella,' even say 'Wunderbar.'
Each language only helps me tell you how grand you are.
I've tried to explain 'Bei Mir Bist Du Schön.'
So kiss me and say you understand.

Bei mir bist du schön, you've heard it all before
But let me try to explain
Bei mir bist du schön means that you're grand
Bei mir bist du schön, it's such an old refrain
and yet I should explain
It means I am begging for your hand

I could say "Bella, bella", even say "Wunderbar"
Each language only helps me tell you how grand you are

And Hava Nigila

HAVA NAGILA LET US REJOICE & BE GLAD

Hava nagila, hava nagila
Hava nagila venis'mecha

Repeat

Hava neranena, hava neranena
Hava neranena venis'mecha

Uru, uru achim
Uru achim belev same'ach

 Let us rejoice
and be glad

Repeat

Let us sing

Awaken brethren
With a cheerful heart.

Or this:

ha-va nagila, ha-va nagila
ha-va nagila, ve nismecha
ha-va nagila, ha-va nagila
ha-va nagila, ve-e nismecha

hava neranena, hava neranena
ha-va neranena ve nismecha
hava neranena, hava neranena
ha-va neranena ve nismecha

u-ru, u-ru a-him
uru ahim belev sameah, uru ahim belev sameah
uru ahim belev sameah, uru ahim belev sameah
uru ahim, uru ahim, uru ahim
- belev sameah.

Googling brings up pages that have music and midi files for this one
too.