[Dixielandjazz] Mini Trombone/Slide Trumpet

Trumpetom at aol.com Trumpetom at aol.com
Sun Aug 20 20:30:47 PDT 2006

In a message dated 8/20/2006 7:01:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bestofbreed at alltel.net writes:

I had  never heard of this instrument before, when I saw one one Bay.   Made
by Jupiter, it is the size of a trumpet with trumpet mouthpiece  and
trombone-style slide, but no tuning slide.  Tuning is accomplished  by
turning a thumb screw at the base of the bell to vary pitch.

I  should have bid on it when I had the chance.  Has anyone seen or owned  one
of these?  I was captured by it, and the ham in me would love to  have one in
a trad jazz setting, so I could have a shtick, and some fun  with the
audience.  If you know someone who sells them, please let me  know.

Steve Pendleton

Trombone
A bit North of  Atlanta

I owned one. It was a load of fun as a novelty instrument in a band. The
slide positions are VERY close together so intonation is always an issue. As  wit
h any trombone the slide positions vary at different harmonic  partials. Mine
was a little flat in first position even when the tuning  bell was pushed all
the way in. I considered taking a hacksaw to shorten it up  about a quarter
inch. I was having enough trouble playing the trumpet already so  I decided to
sell it to a Moravian (their church uses trombone choirs). I bought  mine from
a music store as new old stock. Paid $185. Sold it in the same  condition for
the same price. Later I tried a Getzen soprano trombone. The slide  was a lot
smoother. I didn't buy it because I still need to work on the trumpet  for the
rest of my life. Chuck Findley played one in the pit band at an  Academy
Awards ceremony. Nobody noticed except the other brass players. I am  told he was
a trombone player before he took up the trumpet.
Tom Loeb
_www.hotsytotsyboys.com_ (http://www.hotsytotsyboys.com)