[Dixielandjazz] Check out YouTube - Red Nichols feature

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 20 10:34:07 PDT 2006

Hi All,

Regarding the Red Nichols YouTube feature, Stan Brager noted:

"Did you notice that 6:13 into the video Red takes his horn out of his mouth
and it continues to play without him?"

That is a funny thing.

Your guess that the recording and the film were made at different times has
to be correct - seems like the song was originally recorded in the studio
and not on that set where there was not a microphone in sight!

Red probably just forgot that he had actually played that passage in the
final recording.  I bet in other instances of live performances where the
band was actually playing Red does lay out in that particular section.

But it does look funny.

Cheers,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com