[Dixielandjazz] Age

Cees van den Heuvel heu at bart.nl
Sat Aug 19 16:35:41 PDT 2006

Steve advocated playing for the young ones very often.
How is the situation in Europe?
While there are jazz clubs that look like elderly homes
there are still many young boys and girls that love our
music, but: only when played live and with soul!
The youngsters are brought up with canned music etc.
When they hear more or less live music it's in very big settings:
lightshows, computer based rhytms, the works.
It's always an eyeopener when they see a live band that
they can speak to, touch if wanted. Seeing real instruments,
not electronically distorted or changed: they love it!
That's were our strength lies. Live performing, moving, sweating,
improvising, hitting, missing,
Two weeks ago I've played at a pure trad jazz festival in Sweden.
Average 50+ audience, but they brought their children with them
and I know we've converted a lot of them to trad jazz!
Last week I played in Achouffe (Belgium) Average age: 30.
No jazz fans at start, now addicted to jazz musicians that are
improvising to an orgasmic level, and enjoying themselves.
They were infected. That's were our strength lies.
In a world where music is marketing and technique, there
are stil musicians that have fun in playing their asses of.
As long as we're alive and show it, jazz-even trad- is still alive
and kicking.

Cees van den Heuvel
http://www.revivaljassband.n.