[Dixielandjazz] The OKOM "product"

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Fri Aug 18 04:51:22 PDT 2006

Cees van den Heuvel wrote:

> *It's French! Parts of France speak German.

Well, only the Alsace region to be exact.  Actually, Alsace also speaks
Alsace, a strange dialect that sounds like a mix of French and German.
I spent 6 days at the Münster Jazz Festival last May.  When I 'listened
in' on locals speaking 'their' language, I could understand 1 in 3
words.  Strange stuff.

Down in the extreme south-west of France, they speak Basque.  In the
extreme north-west, they speak Breton.  And, in a large area about 200
km south of where I live, they speak Occiton.  There are many other such
dialects.  As General DeGaule said in the '50s (but, in French); "How
can you expect a country that produces 2000 sorts of cheese to speak the
same language."  Or, something like that.

Now closer to home, well, my old home.  Look at most of the wines in
California.  They have names like Merlot, Sauvignon, Chablis, etc.
Hmmm, doesn't sound like Calibeachtalk to me.  When you transplant a
certain cépage, you keep the original name in respect of the species of
the grape.

I'm still collecting my thoughts for my post concerning jazz in Europe.
It ought to be good.  Perhaps the best post ever made to this list.
Peter Lovric would be so proud of me.  Put on your safety belts and hang on.

All the best, Gary