[Dixielandjazz] European Jazz Bands

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 17 12:07:15 PDT 2006

     How come (until now, that is) nobody's
mentioned the fine French band of Gary Kiser's,
Sac à Pulses?  I'd say they're in the top tier of
bands in any country.
     But 'better'?  Reminds me of an old story in
which (for no obvious reason i can think of) two
guys are talking in a bar, but are continually
disturbed by the ranting of the bartender and a
guy at the bar who were arguing who was more
original, Schoenberg or Bartok.  More 'original'?
Some questions aren't really questions, but
platforms for saying that everybody's wrong but
me, what --> I <-- like is inherently better than
what YOU like.
     Moreover, we can't even agree on our terms
and definitions in jazz, so it's like trying to
compare two equally fuzzy photographs of the same
object taken from different angles.  As Willard
Quine observed, "The less a science is advanced,
the more its terminology tends to rest on an
uncritical assumption of mutual understanding."

     Dan ('ipse dixit') Augustine

P. S. Wouldn't "The Ipse Dixit Jazz Band" be a great name for a dixieland band?
**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "If other people are going to talk, conversation becomes
**      impossible."  -- James McNeill Whistler