[Dixielandjazz] The OKOM "product"

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Wed Aug 16 17:58:44 PDT 2006

I've got an open bottle of Australian Shiraz handy...

> When you are recording you have the ultimate jazz fan in mind.
> You choose to play only the notes that matter.

Ah, I get it: it doesn't have to be a "real" audience, it can be an
"ideal" audience.  Shades of Plato, and all that.

> When you are performing to a crowd that does'nt know the
> difference between Bach and Morton you play what they can
> recognise: high notes, thrills, etc.
> When you have "conquered" that audience you can feed them jazz.
> It's politics. After what a wonderful world in the Armstrong way,
> they will also like Sleepy time down south.
> Most of the audiences are clueless, but if you "educate" them
> they open up to jazz. That's my expierience.
> So: give the audience what it wants and slip in the jazz you want
> them to love. That's what I meant by performing.

Right. That trick is called "bait and switch." Simply play down to the
audience until they're hooked and then slip 'em a jazz Mickey.
Definitely more "real" than "ideal."

I have to admit one thing, you Dutch folks have indeed mastered
politics. I raise my glass to you, sir!

-- Paul Edgerton