[Dixielandjazz] The OKOM "product"

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Wed Aug 16 16:34:35 PDT 2006

Cees says:
> Without an audience there is very little point in performing.

So then, your definition of performing is "playing for an audience."

> Playing jazz and performing jazz are two different things.

Different, but closely related.  For one thing, you cannot "perform"
jazz without "playing" jazz.  Alright, under what circumstances would
you play jazz without performing it?  When you're practicing -- which is
a necessary precondition to performing.

Is the presence of an audience the distinction between playing and
performing?  Suppose none of the enlightened listeners are present in
your audience.  Are you still performing, or merely playing?  If you are
alone in recording studio, no audience is physically present.  Is this a
performance?  Would releasing the recording make a difference?  What if
nobody bought the recording?

What if somebody recorded your private practicing session, sold the CD
and an enlightened and appreciative listener buys it -- are you
performing now?

Have you got performance anxiety yet?

-- Paul Edgerton