[Dixielandjazz] European v USA Bands

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 16 13:34:23 PDT 2006

"Ron L'Herault" <lherault at bu.edu>

> There was an international championship of Jazz in Indianapolis IN, back
> in 1975, I think it was.  Max Collie won over the New Black Eagles so we
> Eagles fans knew it had to be fixed.  8-)

Either that or Cees is right, at least in one past case.

Come on folks, instead of talking generalities, or worrying about
personalities, name some bands in Europe and in the USA. Only ones I've seen
so far are Ed Metz's BobCats, Randy Reinhart's group, etc., vs. one named in
Europe so far by OZ mate Ross Anderson. Dutch College Swing Band. IMO the US
bands named win that one.

Lets put up some specific "facts" or supported "opinions". E.G. Which
European band do you think could cut Reinhart with Davern, Barrett,
Chirillo, Sheridan, Tate, DiNicola? Or which European band could cut the
BobCats? Or which European band could cut some of the US All Star Groups
that include Kellso, Wycliff Gordon, Joe Ascione, Frank Vignola, Bob Wilber,
Greg Cohen et al?

Then again, maybe Swiss Conductor/Composer Ernest Ansermet got it right. He
said in 1919 after hearing Bechet play in Europe that; "perhaps the whole
world will swing along tomorrow". He was very excited about jazz.

But in 1947, visiting Chicago, USA he ruefully said: "The days of jazz are
over. It has made its contribution to music. Now, in itself, it is merely
monotonous." (Source "jazz Notes" Australia, April May 1948)

Ouch.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone