[Dixielandjazz] Let's be realistic about seating for EVERYONE

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Wed Aug 16 05:17:00 PDT 2006

Obscure?  This is Federal Law.  I found the pertinent passage in less than
two minutes of searching on the web.  Here it is:

"4.33.3* Placement of Wheelchair Locations. Wheelchair areas shall be an
integral part of any fixed seating plan and shall be provided so as to
provide people with physical disabilities a choice of admission prices and
lines of sight comparable to those for members of the general public. They
shall adjoin an accessible route that also serves as a means of egress in
case of emergency. At least one companion fixed seat shall be provided next
to each wheelchair seating area. When the seating capacity exceeds 300,
wheelchair spaces shall be provided in more than one location. Readily
removable seats may be installed in wheelchair spaces when the spaces are
not required to accommodate wheelchair users.

"EXCEPTION: Accessible viewing positions may be clustered for bleachers,
balconies, and other areas having sight lines that require slopes of greater
than 5 percent. Equivalent accessible viewing positions may be located on
levels having accessible egress."

I don't think the law could be any more clear.

Hal Vickery