[Dixielandjazz] Letter to the Editor

JBruno868 at aol.com JBruno868 at aol.com
Tue Aug 15 15:01:21 PDT 2006

This has really got too me now. Here is my response to  one of the Director's
response to my letter sent to them by Don at the American  Rag. Who, BTW,
refused to publish my original Letter to the Editor for two  reasons. One, that I
am not a subscriber to the paper and two, he just didn't  know the
regulations and what was correct or not.

In sending this letter to Connie Baker, one of the  Festival Directors, I am
giving them one more chance to make changes before I  file a complaint. I
don't wish to file a complaint but will do so if not assured  that changes will be
made.

Jazz hugs

Judie

----

Dear Connie:

In bringing up this situation, as I did to you  personally if you remember at
the Festival and you told me and others, that it  was for "Fire Laws" that
the Handicapped Section was put in the back of the room  and of course you know
that is not true, and after talking to an ADA  Representative today, I need to
know if this is the Official  stand of the Festival at this time for future
Handicapped Seating.  Referring to your letter of August 14, 2006, attached.

I am referring to the most  important Regulation broken which is that any
grouping of 300 or more,  must have Dispersed Handicapped Seating in all price
ranges. Title 111 of  the ADA Regulations. That included's Patron's Seating and
seating in the  General areas. Dispersed Seating, too define it for you, means
 not all grouped into the very back but spread out to all seating and having
room  for a wheelchair and companion seat NEXT to the handicapped seating.

Had you only responded with a "let's look into it  further because we just
don't know" attitude which was all I was  looking for and too inform you and
other Festival Directors of the law and the  rights of Disabled Fans attending
festivals but it's your defending what you  don't know and your response to my
letter that has forced me to take this  further. I can only pray that for the
Festival's sake, next year you look  into this problem, follow the ADA
Regulations and do the correct thing instead  of your response regarding this years
violations. If you wish, I would be happy  to help you with this.

A correct response from you now, would put a stop to  any further steps I
feel, I would have to take.

Thank you

Judie Bruno

------

Dear  Editor:

Thank  you for sharing Ms. Judie Bruno’s letter in reference to her
experience at the  2006 Orange County Classic Jazz  Festival.
As  Festival Directors, our concerns are always the quality of the music, the
 comfort and safety of the attendees, and the “seamless” style that we run
the  festival.  We have hundreds of festival surveys from this year
complimenting us on the quality of our festival and how well it is run.   One of the
elements of a smoothly run event is that every set begins and ends  on time; we
do this by encouraging everyone to sit down promptly and requiring  that the
musicians’/bands’ changeovers are  quick.
We  are not directly concerned with access issues at the festival as it is
held in  a hotel, that is, a public venue which meets ADA requirements.  We are
directly  concerned with egress issues in the event of fire, earthquake or
other  calamity that might occur during the actual performances.  We must have
all aisles clear of chairs or any other obstructions at all times.
Consequently, we do not allow anyone to move or remove chairs to accommodate  their own
needs or preferences.  We keep certain clearances in front of  the front row
and in each aisle so that in the event of an incident, everyone  in the room
can leave easily and safely.  We also make certain that when  the fire marshal
makes the usual unscheduled visits, we easily pass  muster.
In  this effort, for several years, we have removed 20 chairs from the back
row  center of the three large venues and 10 chairs in the back row of the one
small venue and put signs on the backs of the chairs immediately in front of
these removed rows to indicate this is a handicapped area.  This creates  an
opportunity for the handicapped person’s partner to sit in front of the
person in the wheelchair while giving individuals in wheelchairs or electric  carts
ample space to park in a good area with easy access.  Apparently,  Ms. Bruno
did not realize the missing rows.  This is a solution we  learned from the San
 Diego festival some years  ago.
The  reason we use the back rows is because all of our venues are entered
from the  back.  We do not choose to put this designated area anywhere else FOR
THE  CONVENIENCE OF THE HANDICAPPED PERSONS WHO CHOOSE TO USE IT.  We do not
require people in wheelchairs to locate there; we simply make it easy for them
to do so.  In fact, we had two different people speak to us, one to me  and
one to my partner, Larry Baker, thanking us for the easy access this  year.
There is a fifth venue at our festival, the Lobby Bar, which has  ramp access
directly to the front of the seating area and right at the  bandstand.
Individuals requiring handicapped access in this venue  automatically take a position
at the front of the seating area by virtue of  the accessibility.
Ms  Bruno is welcome to sit wherever she wants, however, neither she nor
anyone  else who attends our festival is allowed to block an aisle or move chairs.
 We would have chaos if we allowed this to happen at an event with nearly
3000 attendees per day.
As  for Ms. Bruno being told by my partner, John Dieball, to move the
wheelchair,  it was his opinion that she was blocking the aisle and therefore, he
told her  to move.  As Festival Directors, we make decisions on the spot and
stand  by them for the benefit of the majority and the smooth operation of the
festival.
Apparently,  Ms. Bruno enjoyed the festival since she plans to attend next
year.   We’re planning another terrific show and hope to see her and all of our
jazz  fans in August, 2007, enjoying another great three and one-half days of
outstanding classic jazz
Sincerely,
Connie  Baker
Festival  Co-Director