[Dixielandjazz] California in 1941>> Non Jazz Message

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Tue Aug 15 09:08:13 PDT 2006

To our many contributors from the Golden State, a recently discovered
manuscript by Alistair Cooke, The American Home Front 1941-1942 is well  worth the
reading.  It is a narrative of his journeys through the United  States by
automobile, train, and airplane.  The descriptions of the West  Coast environs (esp
Los Angeles and San Francisco) are particularly  interesting for people who
like to compare today with yesterday.  The  description of Florida is also
interesting...the only scene at the time was  Miami on the Atlantic side and
Tampa>north on Gulf side.  The USDA had  just set up an experimental factory to
concentrate orange juice mainly for  distribution in Britain.  I have not seen
any discussion of the music  scene, but life in America as we actively entered
the WWII effort is quite  fascinating.

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers Jazz Band
'we ain't just  whistlin' dixie!"