[Dixielandjazz] Handicapped & Getting Yelled At

mmckay macjazz at se.rr.com
Tue Aug 15 08:26:06 PDT 2006

 I mentioned this off group, but will share it.

In the 70's my sister (who has been in a wheelchair much of her adult life)
worked as a volunteer with the DAV helping to rehab mostly guys who had been
in Nam. Frequently cars found in H/C parking places without tags etc. seemed
to have all the air gone out of one (or possibly two) tires. (The "two" was
a guy who continued to come in and park in the H/C slot even after one of
his tires accidentally lost it's valve stem.)

It did seem to help stop the illegal parking pretty fast, most of the time.

They did a lot of their practice street crossings and things like that right
near parking areas and could see who came and went.

There was a pretty fair group of them.  They all wore shirts that said
"DISABLED" with the first and last "D"s crossed out. I'm sure there are some
in the Tampa Bay area (mostly Clearwater/St. Pete) who remember them. (Some
might even remember them fondly!)

Mart

Martin D. McKay, Designated Listener